Shakespeare’s contemporaries and collaborators [infographic]
marco
2016-10-17 18:35:59 UTC
While it is obvious that Shakespeare drew a tremendous amount of inspiration from Christopher Marlowe (note the effect of The Jew of Malta, Hero and Leander, and Tamburlaine on The Merchant of Venice, As You Like It, and Shakespeare’s history plays, respectively), this kind of borrowing and collaboration was common during the time.

Collaboration was one of the most effective ways for playwrights to generate works quickly and appease the demands of their audiences. Additionally, there was no set principle in regards to a playwright’s “intellectual property,” so copying, borrowing, and referencing other works was common practice.

As a result, hundreds of plays written during the late 16th century and early 17th century were collaborative efforts or incorporated the writing of other playwrights.

http://blog.oup.com/2016/10/shakespeare-infographic-collaborators/

marc
marco
2016-10-18 22:04:49 UTC
partner

Wishing me with him, partner of his fortune. The Two Gentlemen of Verona: I, iii
And will be partner of your weal or woe. King Henry VI, part I: III, ii
Your partner in the cause 'gainst which he fought, Antony and Cleopatra: II, ii

My noble partners, and myself, thus pray: King Henry VIII: V, v
Murder in healing wounds: then, noble partners, Antony and Cleopatra: II, ii
Marry, that am I and my partner. Much Ado About Nothing: IV, ii

Are partners in the business. Cymbeline: I, vi
Your partner, as I hear, must die to-morrow, Measure for Measure: II, iii
You have been always called a merciful man, partner. Much Ado About Nothing: III, iii

Would make the great'st king double,--to be partner'd Cymbeline: I, vi
Which outwardly ye show? my noble partner Macbeth: I, iii
Thee, my dearest partner of greatness, that thou Macbeth: I, v

The partner of your bed. methinks I see The Winter's Tale: IV, iv
Shall have two noble partners with you; the old King Henry VIII: V, iii
Set down our host. my partner in this action, Coriolanus: V, iii

Prithee, be my present partner in this business, and The Winter's Tale: IV, ii
My vows are equal partners with thy vows. King Henry VI, part I: III, ii
Look, how our partner's rapt. Macbeth: I, iii

Lead in your ladies, every one: sweet partner, King Henry VIII: I, iv
I seem'd his follower, not partner, and Coriolanus: V, vi
Go, good partner, go, get you to francis seacole; Much Ado About Nothing: III, v

Fellow partner. Measure for Measure: IV, ii
Vouchsafed to think he had partners: you shall find there Antony and Cleopatra: I, iv

William Shakespeare, gentleman
A***@germanymail.com