Shakespeare's reverse speech
Don
2017-12-24 06:47:45 UTC
http://reversespeech.com/2000/04/essay-one-on-reverse-speech/
Essay on Reverse Speech

(quote)
In the early 1980’s David Oates discovered, by means of some
fascinatingly synchronous events, words spoken in grammatically
correct phrases and sentences on a cassette tape containing music
which he played in reverse. Some of them were obviously intentionally
inserted but the ones that were not sparked an intensive scientific
investigation that David passionately pursues to this day. Much has
been discovered and much remains to be revealed, but so far, we know
that the subconscious mind speaks in reverse within the sound
patterns of forward speech.
(unquote)

If there is a subconscious logic in reverse speech, then we should be
reading about how to apply it in reading Shakespeare, perhaps letting
someone record it as written, then see what play-back reveals. Or,
hey, just write a computer program that deciphers Early Modern English
and reads it backward.

Those who practice at this long enough should be able to tells us
about the real Shakespeare, what he was preoccupied about?

Merry Christmas, bookburn
Don
2017-12-24 09:31:24 UTC
Post by Don
[...]
“Thine forward voice, now, is to speak well of thine friend; thine
backward voice is to utter foul speeches and to detract.” Shakespeare
– The Tempest
laraine
2017-12-29 20:46:47 UTC
Post by Don
[...]
I do remember this fad from way back when.
Perhaps they remove the spaces before analyzing, or just listen for sounds
in general. I notice some audio samples on their website.

From the Tempest quote above, 'detract' -> 'tcarted', 'and' -> 'dna',
Did you find anything interesting? Fun game for New Year's...

C.
Don
2017-12-29 23:30:45 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by Don
Post by Don
[...]
From the Tempest quote above, 'detract' -> 'tcarted', 'and' -> 'dna',
Did you find anything interesting? Fun game for New Year's...
C.
Evidently they found a Beetles record with reverse speech on it, then
started some playing with recording in reverse with something satanic,
I think. I do see reference to CIA researching this with David Oates,
but like you say, public interest has waned.

But I bet more can be done with the approach if computer programs
could be written to interpret clues.
laraine
2017-12-30 00:42:19 UTC
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 12:46:47 -0800 (PST), laraine
Post by laraine
Post by Don
[...]
From the Tempest quote above, 'detract' -> 'tcarted', 'and' -> 'dna',
Did you find anything interesting? Fun game for New Year's...
C.
Evidently they found a Beetles record with reverse speech on it, then
started some playing with recording in reverse with something satanic,
I think. I do see reference to CIA researching this with David Oates,
but like you say, public interest has waned.
But I bet more can be done with the approach if computer programs
could be written to interpret clues.
Isolating phrases and sentences from within any kind of 'nonsense'
writing seems complicated, though such a project might exist.

A first step might be to just print out or write
out each (Shakespeare) line reversed, and then manually look at the results.
(I'm not really convinced it represents the subconscious though..)

C.
laraine
2018-01-01 17:00:38 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by Don
[...]
From the Tempest quote above, 'detract' -> 'tcarted', 'and' -> 'dna',
Did you find anything interesting? Fun game for New Year's...
C.
Evidently they found a Beetles record with reverse speech on it, then
started some playing with recording in reverse with something satanic,
I think. I do see reference to CIA researching this with David Oates,
but like you say, public interest has waned.
But I bet more can be done with the approach if computer programs
could be written to interpret clues.
Isolating phrases and sentences from within any kind of 'nonsense'
writing seems complicated, though such a project might exist.
A first step might be to just print out or write
out each (Shakespeare) line reversed, and then manually look at the results.
(I'm not really convinced it represents the subconscious though..)
C.
Perhaps it makes more sense to look at it sentence by sentence, and/or
delimit at any kind of longer pause.

That is, after you get your reversed audio into a Speech to Text file,
I presume.

Then one might start by searching for individual words, perhaps from a
Shakespeare or EME dictionary, if that capability is available.

C.
Don
2018-01-01 22:42:32 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by Don
Post by Don
[...]
From the Tempest quote above, 'detract' -> 'tcarted', 'and' -> 'dna',
[...]
Fuse would be lit if Reverse Speech is found to be in lots of writing;
then found interestingly in a few authors; and so on, until at least
one instance in Shakespeare is revealed (bang!). Possibly Forward
Speech can be discovered to have a way of revealing hidden meanings in
the text, too? Seems like we recognize in spoken language lots of
tones, exclamations, moods, etc., from pace, volume, ways of emphasis,
that we associate with meaning and intention. We know about a "sound
and sense" approach to poetry. Like to imagine that the Muse can
descend to a speaker and s/he speaks "winged words."

In his essay on "Seven Types of Ambiguity" (1930), William Empson
advances the New Criticism by demonstrating how poets, including
Shakespeare, do use ambiguities, intentionally and unconsciously, at
different levels of complexity. Seems ironic that his contribution to
New Criticism was supposedly in close textual analysis, but his own
poetry is more like metaphysical.

laraine
2017-12-30 01:10:35 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by Don
[...]
From the Tempest quote above, 'detract' -> 'tcarted', 'and' -> 'dna',
Did you find anything interesting? Fun game for New Year's...
C.
Now 'carted' on the backward recording would sound different
from the actual word 'carted'... With the word 'detract' spoken,
the 'ed' in 'carted' might sound like 'eed', etc. (depending on
one's accent) rather than like the name 'Ed'
(--oops, did I just reference DeVere?! or is it a King Edward,
Or an Edmund. You see how that can be subject to interpretation.)

C.
Don
2017-12-30 06:56:10 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by laraine
Post by Don
Post by Don
[...]
From the Tempest quote above, 'detract' -> 'tcarted', 'and' -> 'dna',
Did you find anything interesting? Fun game for New Year's...
C.
Now 'carted' on the backward recording would sound different
from the actual word 'carted'... With the word 'detract' spoken,
the 'ed' in 'carted' might sound like 'eed', etc. (depending on
one's accent) rather than like the name 'Ed'
(--oops, did I just reference DeVere?! or is it a King Edward,
Or an Edmund. You see how that can be subject to interpretation.)
C.
I imagine several computer programs can be involved; like one for
translating EME, Warwichshire, one for recognizing close readings in
reverse, one for using reverse speech patterns such as are intended in
poetry or other, one for noticing developing uses and changes in
patterns, hopefully one recognizing "undertones" in the reverse speech
that come from subconscious.

I respect the work that was done on "Shakespeare's Imagery," by
Caroline Spurgeon, including her assumptions about biography.

BTW, in searching that, I found an interesting reference, saying: "No
student of Shakespeare or of the workings of imagination can afford to
miss this entrancing book.' Edwin Muir, The Scotsman'. It seems that
fans of Robert Burns and other Scots poets get a lot out of their
ethnic backgrounds. And I see that some suggest Stratman's dialect
from Warwickshire could share some Lowland Scots features. Still, we
wonder why much of Stratman's background remains opaque. When he went
home for visits, did he automatically use local dialect around the
dinner table?

bookburn