Like a poore Snayle
2018-02-23 13:13:15 UTC
Raw Message
George Chapman 1598 _[HERO] & Leander_ poem:

She bowd her selfe so low out of her Towre,
That wonder twas she fell not ere her howre,
With searching the lamenting waves for him;
Like a poore Snayle, her gentle supple lim
Hung on her Turrets top so most {D}owne {R}ight,
{A}s she {W}ould {D}ive b{E}neath the darknes quite,
To finde her Jewell; Jewell, her Leander,
A name of all ea[R]ths Jewels pleasde not her,
Lik[E] his deare name: Leander, still m[Y] choice,
Come nought but my Lean[D]er; O my voice
Turne to Leander: h[E]nce-forth be all sounds,
Accents, and phrases that shew all griefes wounds,
Analisde in Leander. O black change!
_____ <= *26* =>
.{D}o w n e{R}i g h t{A}s s h e{W}o u l d{D}i v e b{E}
. n e a t h t h e d a r k n e s q u i t e,T o f i n d
. e h e r J e w e l l;J e w e l l,h e r L e a n d e r,
. A n a m e o f a l l e a [R] t h s J e w e l s p l e a
. s d e n o t h e r,L i k [E] h i s d e a r e n a m e:L
. e a n d e r,s t i l l m [Y] c h o i c e,C o m e n o u
. g h t b u t m y L e a n [D] e r;O m y v o i c e T u r
. n e t o L e a n d e r:h [E] n c e-f o r t h b e a l l
[E.DYER] -26
<<{O}r spunne out Riddles, or weav'd fifty Tomes
__{O}f *LOGOGRIPHES*, or curious Palindromes;
__{O}r pump'd for those hard trifles, Anagrams,
__{O}r Ecrosticks, or your finer flames
__{O}f EGGES , and Halbards, Cradles, and a Herse,
__[A] paire of Sizers, and *a COMBE in verse* ;
__[A]crosticks, and *TELLESTICKS*, or jumpe names,>> - B. Jonson
2 *TELLESTICKS* found by Jones Harris & John Rollett:
The Names of the *26* Principall Actors
in all these Playes.

[William Shakespeare]
Richard B(ū)rba(D)ge.
John Hemmings.
Augusti(ñ)e Phillip [S].
William Kemp [T].
Thom(ā)s Poop (e).
George Brya (N).
Henry C(O)n[D]el [L].
W(I)l(L)iam S(L) (Y|E).
{R}ichard Cowl [Y].
John Low(I)ne.
Samuell Crosse.
A(L|E]xander Co(O)k{E}.
Samuel Gilburn{E}.
[R]obert Armi(N).
Will(I)am Ostl(E)r.
(N)athan Field.
John Underwoo [D].
{N}icholas T(O)ole {Y}.
William Eccl[E]ston {E}.
Joseph Taylo {R}.
Robert Be[N]fiel {D}.
Robe(R)t Gough {E}.
Richar{D} Robinso {N}.
John Shancke.
John Rice.
. <= *26* =>
. [W i l l i a m S h a k e s p e a r e]R i c h a r d B
. (U) r b a D g e.J o h n H e m m i n g s.A u g u s t i
. (N) e P h i l l i p S W i l l i a m K e m p T T h o m
. (A) s P o o p e G e o r g e B r y a N H e n r y C o n
. [D] e l l.W i l L i a m S l Y E R i c h a r d C o w l
. [Y] J o h n L o w I n e.S a m u e l l C r o s s e.A l
. [E] x a n d e r C o O k E S a m u e l G i l b u r n E
. [R] o b e r t A r m i N W i l l i a m O s t l E r N a
. t h a n F i e l d.J o h n U n d e r w o o [D] N i c h
. o l a s T o o l e Y W i l l i a m E c c l [E] s t o n
. e. J o s e p h T a y l o r.R o b e r t B e [N] f i e l
. d.
(UNA) 26 : personification of "Truth" in Spenser's FQ
[DYER] 26
[NED] -26
. Thomas Watson's HEKATOMPATHIA: Sonnet 1
WEll fare the life sometimes I ledde ere this,
When yet no downy heare ycla[D] my face:
my heart devoyde of car[E]s [D]id bath in blisse,
my thought[S] w[E]re free in every time & place:
But [N]ow (ala[S]) all's fowle, which then wa{S} fair[E].
My wonted ioyes are turn{I}ng to [DES]paire.

Where then I liv'{D} without controule or checke,
A{N} other now is mistris of my mind{E},
Cupid hath clapt a yoake upon m{Y} necke,
Under whose waighte I hu[E] in servile kinde:
I now cry crea[K]e, that ere I scorned love,
Whose might is more then other Gods above.

I have assaide by labour to eschewe
What fancy buildes upon a love conceite,
But nearthelesse my thought revives anew,
Where in fond love is wrapt, and workes deceite:
Some comfort yet I have to live her thrall,
In whome as yet I find no fault at all.
. <= *26* =>
. W E l l f a r e t h e l i f e s o m e t i m e s I l
. e d d e e r e t h i s, W h e n y e t n o d o w n y h
. e a r e y c l a [D]m y f a c e:m y h e a r t d e v o
. y d e o f c a r [E]s[D] i d b a t h i n b l i s s e,m
. y t h o u g h t [S]w[E] r e f r e e i n e v e r y t i
. m e&p l a c e:B u t[N] o w a l a [S]a l l's f o w l e,
. w h i c h t h e n w a {S} f a i r [E]M y w o n t e d i
. o y e s a r e t u r n {I} n g t o [D E S] p a i r e.W h
. e r e t h e n I l i v'{D} w i t h o u t c o n t r o u
. l e o r c h e c k e,A {N} o t h e r n o w i s m i s t
. r i s o f m y m i n d {E},C u p i d h a t h c l a p t
. a y o a k e u p o n m {Y} n e c k e,U n d e r w h o s
. e w a i g h t e I h u [E] i n s e r v i l e k i n d e:
. I n o w c r y c r e a [K] e,t h a t e r e I s c o r n
. e d l o v e,W h o s e m i g h t i s m o r e t h e n
. o t h e r G o d s a b o v e.

{SIDNEY} *26* : Prob. in first sonnet ~ 1 in 1750
Prob. skip = 26 in any sonnet ~ 1 in 535

The Great Assises holden in Parnassus by Apollo and his Assesours:
by George Wither (1645)

The Lord VERULAN, Chancellor of Parnassus.
Sir [PHILIP SI|DNEY], High Constable of Par.
WILL|IAM) BUDEUS, High Treasurer.
JOHN [P]ICUS, Earle of Mirandula, [H]igh Chamberlaine.

. <= *26* =>
. T h e L o r d V E R U L A N,C h a n c e l l o r o f
. P a r n a s s u s.S i r[P H I L I P S I|D N E Y]H i
. g h C o n s t a b l e o f P a r.W I L L|I A M)B U D
. E U S,H i g h T r e a s u r e r.J O H N[P]I C U S,E
. a r l e o f M i r a n d u l a,H i g h C[H]a m b e r
. l a i n e.J U L I U S C E S A R S C A L[I]G E R E R
. A S M U S R O T E R O D A M.J U S T U S[L I P S I]U S
[I AM|PHIL/IP SI|DNEY] 26 : Prob. skip *26* at top ~ 1 in 6800
Shepheardes Calender (1579) dedicated to Sir Philip [SIDNEY]
Sir Philip [SIDNEY] (born 30 *November* 1554: Saint Andrew's Day)
. Shepheardes Calender (1579) *November*
Why wayle we then? why weary we the gods with playnts,
As if some evill were (to HER BET)ight*?
She raignes *A GOD{DES|S]E* now emong the saintes,
That wh[I]lome was the saynt of shephear[D]s light:
And is enstalled nowe i[N] heavens hight.
I see thee, bless[E]d soule, I see,
Walke in Elisian f[I]eldes so free.
O happy *HERSE*!
Might I one come to thee! O that I might!
O joyfull *VERSE*!
______ <= *26* =>
. A s i f s o m e e v i l l w e r e(t o H E R B E T)i
. g h t?S h e r a i g n e s*A G O D[D E S|S]E*n o w e
. m o n g t h e s a i n t e s,T h a t w h[I]l o m e w
. a s t h e s a y n t o f s h e p h e a r[D]s l i g h
. t:A n d i s e n s t a l l e d n o w e i[N]h e a v e
. n s h i g h t.I s e e t h e e,b l e s s[E]d s o u l
. e,I s e e,W a l k e i n E l i s i a n f[I]e l d e s
[SIDNEI] *26*
. *26* days

<<[Sir Philip Sidney (30 November 1554 - 17 October 1586)]
joined Sir John Norris in the Battle of Zutphen, fighting for
the Protestant cause against the Spanish. During the battle,
he was shot in the thigh & died of gangrene *26* days later.

According to the story, while lying wounded he gave his water
to another wounded soldier, saying, "Thy necessity is yet
greater than mine". As he lay dying, Sidney composed a song to
be sung by his deathbed. Sidney's body was interred in the Old
St. Paul's Cathedral on 16 February 1587. [Sidney] had become
for many English people the very epitome of a Castiglione
courtier: learned and politic, but at the same time generous,
brave, and impulsive. The funeral procession was one of the
most elaborate ever staged, so much so that his father-in-law,
Francis Walsingham, almost went bankrupt. Never more than a
marginal figure in the politics of his time, he was memorialised
as the flower of English manhood in Edmund Spenser's Astrophel,
one of the greatest English Renaissance elegies. An early
biography of Sidney was written by his friend & schoolfellow,
Fulke Greville: Recorder of Stratford (1606-1628).>>
. The Original 1590 quarto edition!
The Covntesse of Pembrokes Arcadia,
. written by Sir Philippe [SIDNEI].
*125* is the gematric number, being the sum of the English
characters for PHILIP SIDNEI = [(15+8+9+11+9+15)+(18+9+4+13+5+9)]

The "intentionally concealed message" in Sonnet 125 is
that Fulke Greville: Recorder of Stratford (1606-1628)
And [NED] [DYER] (b. October 1543 – d. May 1607)
*both* "bore the canopy" {For}[SIDNEI]:

. Sonnet 125

. WEr't ought to me I "bore the canopy",
. With my extern the outward honoring,
. Or layd great bases {For} eternity,
. Which proues more [S]hort then wast or ruining?
. Haue [I] not seene dwellers on forme an[D] fauor
. Lose all,and more by payi[N]g too much rent
. For compound sw[E]et;Forgoing simple sauor,
. Pitt[I]full thriuors in their gazing spent.
. Noe,let me be obsequious in thy heart,
. And take thou my oblacion,poore but free,
. Which is not mixt with seconds,knows no art,
. But mutuall render onely me for thee.
. Hence,thou subbornd Informer, a trew soule
. When most impeacht,stands least in thy controule.
. <= *26* =>
. {F o r} e t e r n i t y,W h i c h p r o u e s m o r e
. [S] h o r t t h e n w a s t o r r u i n i n g?H a u e
. [I] n o t s e e n e d w e l l e r s o n f o r m e a n
. [D] f a u o r L o s e a l l,a n d m o r e b y p a y i
. [N] g t o o m u c h r e n t F o r c o m p o u n d s w
. [E] e t;F o r g o i n g s i m p l e s a u o r,P i t t
. [I] f u l l t h r i u o r s i n t h e i r g a z i n g

{For}[SIDNEI] *26*
Shortest {For}[SIDNEI] skip in KJV : 869
Shortest {For}[SIDNEI] skip in Moby Dick : 2818
. Sonnet 47
. BEtwixt mine eye and heart a league is tooke,
. And each doth good turnes now vnto the other,
. When that mine eye is famisht {For} a looke,
. Or heart in loue with [S]ighes himselfe doth smother;
. W[I]th my loues picture then my eye [D]oth feast,
. And to the painted ba[N]quet bids my heart:
. An other tim[E] mine eye is my hearts guest,
. And [I]n his thoughts of loue doth share a part.
. So either by thy picture or my loue,
. Thy seife away,are present still with me,
. For thou nor farther then my thoughts canst moue,
. And I am still with them,and they with thee.
. Or if they sleepe, thy picture in my sight
. Awakes my heart,to hearts and eyes delight.
. <= *26* =>
. {F o r} a l o o k e,O r h e a r t i n l o u e w i t h
. [S] i g h e s h i m s e l f e d o t h s m o t h e r;W
. [I] t h m y l o u e s p i c t u r e t h e n m y e y e
. [D] o t h f e a s t,A n d t o t h e p a i n t e d b a
. [N] q u e t b i d s m y h e a r t:A n o t h e r t i m
. [E] m i n e e y e i s m y h e a r t s g u e s t,A n d
. [I] n h i s t h o u g h t s
{For}[SIDNEI] *26*
Prob. of 2{For}[SIDNEI]s same skip ~ 1 in 34,000,000
Prob. of 2nd {For}[SIDNEI]s skip *26* ~ 1 in 150,000

. Sir Philip Sydney's funeral procession

When Sir Philip Sidney died of a wound received at the battle of Zutphen (1586) his body was brought home to England for an elaborate public funeral. The next year Thomas Lant published a series of engravings of the funeral procession.

Pictures from The Procession at the Obsequies of Sir Philip Sidney, drawn by his servant, Thomas Lant, and engraved by Theodor Dirk de Bry, 1587 (From the series of 32 plates featuring 344[= 2 x (Sonnet 125 + Sonnet 47)]engraved figures on a 38 foot long roll in the possession of the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, D.C.)

Henry Danvers, aged 13, Philip Sidney's page, seated
upon Sidney's war horse and trailing a broken lance.
Bolbeck or Bolebeck, coat of arms:
lion brandishing a broken lance.

a lion, sejant, supporting with dexter a broken lance.

<<On 4 October 1594 Southampton's friend, [21 year old] Henry Danvers, shot Henry Long, brother of Sir Walter Long, in the course of a local feud between the Danvers and Long families. Sir Henry and his elder brother, Sir Charles Danvers, fled to Titchfield, where Southampton sheltered them. The brothers were outlawed, and eventually escaped to the continent where they took refuge at the court of King Henri IV.

Southampton remained at the French court, planning to travel to Italy with Sir Charles Danvers and Sir Henry Danvers, whom he had helped to escape from England in 1594 after the murder of Henry Long. At that juncture the Queen decided to pardon the Danvers brothers, and they were back in England on 30 August 1598, at which time Southampton also returned in secret, and married his pregnant mistress, Elizabeth Vernon.>>

<<In the days immediately after the murder of Henry Long by Charles and Henry Danvers, around the 4th/5th October 1594, they were protected at Titchfield by HW. The 6th October was HW's coming of age 21st birthday. Perhaps Charles Danvers loyalty towards HW partly derives from the protection and assistance he and his brother received in escape to France. From where they bought their way out of trouble by paying fines. The same tactic was attempted in 1601, when Charles offered £10,000 to prevent his execution. He failed.

Edward de Vere then enters this episode in history. What was his role?
Simply put, he became involved in the squabble over Danvers' estate.
But surely there must be evidence of more than that?>>
Cecil Papers 88/101 (bifolium, 232mm x 170mm),
Oxford to Cecil; 7 October 1601 (W337;F593).
...for I am aduised, that I may passe *MY BOOKE* from her
Magestie, yf a warrant may be procured to my cosen *BACON*
and Seriant [=Sergeant] *HARRIS* to perfet [= *PERFECT* ] yt.
Whic[HE BE]inge *DOONE* , I know to whome formallye to
thanke, but reallye they shalbe, and are from me, and myne,
*to be SEALED VP* in an *AETERNALL REMEMBRANCE* to yowre selfe.
And thus *WISHINGE ALL HAPPINES* to yow, and sume fortunat
meanes to me, wherby I myght recognise soo *DIEPE* merites,
I take my leaue this 7th of October from my House at HAKNEY. 1601.
Yowre most assured and louinge Broother.
(signed) Edward Oxenford (ital.; 4+7)
Addressed (O): To the ryghte honorable & my very good Broother
Sir Robert Cecill on [=one] of her Magestyes pryvie Councel
and principall Secretarie giue thes at the Coorte. [seal]
Endorsed: 1601 7 October: Erle of Oxenford to my Master.
_____ *SEALD & DOONE*
______ Hamlet (Q2, 1604)
King: Follow him at foote,
. Tempt him with speede abord,
. Delay it not, Ile haue him hence
. to nig[H]t. Aw[A]y, fo[R] eue[R]y th[I]ng i[S]
. *SEALD and DONE*
. That els leanes on th'affayre, pray you make hast,
______ Hamlet (Folio, 1623)
King: Follow him at foote,
. Tempt him with speed aboord:
. Delay it not, Ile haue him hence to
. nig[H]t. Aw[A]y, fo[R] eue[R]y th[I]ng i[S]
. *SEAL'D and DONE*
. That else leanes on th'Affaire, pray you make hast.

<<Engraving of the Oxford Physic Garden by David Loggan, 1675, from 'Oxonia Illustrata'

Physic gardens were a common feature in the 1700s. They were used to grow plants for drug preparations and were arranged according to the properties of the plants they contained. For example, plants with spiky leaves were likely to be grouped together.

The Oxford Physic Garden was founded in 1621 by Henry Danvers, the Earl of Danby. He donated £5,000 to set up the garden – the equivalent of £3.5 million today. It is the oldest garden of its kind in the United Kingdom. The garden is now known as the Oxford Botanic Gardens after a name change in 1840.

This print is from Oxonia Illustrata by David Logg (1633/5-92), engraver to Oxford University.>>
. Prob. ~ 1 in 42
. S
. T A Y
. P[A S]S E
. N G[E R W]H Y
. G O E S(T)T]H O U
. B Y S O F(A)S T R E A
. D I F T H O(U)C[A|N}S T W
. H O M E(N)V I O[U]S{D|E}A T H
. H A T(H P L A S)T W{I}T H{I}N T H
. I{S}M O N U(M)E N T{S}H A K S{P}E A R
. E W{I}T H W H(O)M{E} Q U I C K{N|A}T U R
. E{D}I D E W[H]O S E N A M E D O T{H}D
. E C K Y[S|T)O M B E F A R M O R E
. t H[E]N C O S T S I E H A L L
. [Y]T H E H A T H W R I T T
. L E A V E S L{I}V I N
. (G A R T)B U{T}P A
. G(E)T O S{E}R
. V E H I{S}
. W I T
. T
[YESH...UA] Prob. ~ 1 in 2,200
{HAPI} Prob. ~ 1 in 120
Prob. of 2{SID}'s ~ 1 in 101
"Shakespeare": "They tke the *FLOW o' the NILE*
____ By certain scales i' the Pyramid."
. T
. O T H
. E(O)N L{I}
. E B(E)G E{T}T
. E R O(F)T H{E}S E
. I N S U(I)N G{S}O N N
. E T S M R(W|H}A L L H A P
. P I N E(S|S|E|A}N D T H A T E
. T E R N I(T|I)E[P]R O M I S E D B
. Y O U R E V(E|R)L[I]V I N G P O E T W
. I S H E T H T(H|E)W[E]L L W I S H I N G A
. D V E N T U R E R I N[S]E T T I N G F O R T H
[PIES] Prob. in center bottom ~ 1 in 32,000
{HAPI} Prob. in center ~ 1 in in 16,000
<<{HAPI} (Golden Dawn) One of the Four Sons of Horus, {HAPI}
. was represented as a mummified man with the head of a *BABOON*.
.He was the protector of the lungs of the deceased, & was protected
. by the goddess Nephthys. The name {HAPI}, spelled with different
. HIEROGLYPHs, in most but not all cases, is also the name
. of the god who was the personification of the River *NILE*
. depicted as a corpulent man [Falstaff? / N(ev)ILE?]
. with a *CROWN of LILIES* (Upper {NILE} )
______ or papyrus plants (Lower {NILE>). - Shawn C. Knight
_______________ <= 19 =>
. T OTHEO - (N) l ___{I} _ <E>B E G E T T E RO
. F THESE_- (I) n __-{S} - U<I>N G S O N N ET
. S MrWha_- (L) L __ [H]A {P} <P>{I}_(N){S}S{S}EA
. N Dthat___ (E) T __ [E]R N_ <I> T__(I) E<P>R OM
. I SEDB Y O u ___- [R]E _ V <E> R_ (L)<I>V I NG
. <P>OEtW I s h ____ [E]T __ H (T) H__(E) W E L LW
. <I>ShIN- G a _____ [d V e] __ N (T) u _____ ReRI NS
. <E>tTIN G fort----_________ H (T) t
. Probability of Upper & Lower (NILE)'s ~ 1/176,000
. Probability of 4 oven <PIE>'s ~ 1/38,000

<<Henry Danvers, 1st Earl of Danby, KG (28 June 1573 – 20 January 1643) was an English soldier. Outlawed after a killing, he regained favour and became a Knight of the (GART/ER).

He was the 2nd son of Sir John Danvers, Knt., of Dauntsey, Wiltshire, by his wife Elizabeth Nevill, the youngest daughter and coheiress of John Nevill, 4th Baron Latymer. He was born at Dauntsey on 28 June 1573, and at an early age became a page to Sir Philip Sidney, whom he accompanied to the Low Countries, and was probably present at the battle of Zutphen in 1586. Danvers later took part in the siege of Rouen in 1591, and was there knighted for his services in the field by Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, in command of the expedition.

His father died on 19 December 1593, and on 4 October 1594 Henry Long, son of Robert Long, and brother of Sir Walter Long was killed. A feud had existed between the Long and Danvers families for some time past. According to one account, Henry Long was dining in the middle of the day with a party of friends in Corsham, when Danvers, followed by his brother Charles and a number of retainers, burst into the room, and shot Long dead on the spot. The brothers then fled on horseback to Whitley Lodge, near Titchfield, the seat of Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton. With Southampton's assistance they succeeded after some days in making their way out of the country. A coroner's inquisition was held, and the brothers were outlawed.

The brothers joined the French army, and became known to Henry IV of France for their conspicuous bravery. In 1597, Henry Danvers served under Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham, apparently as a captain of a man-of-war in the expedition of that year to the coast of Spain.

After Henry IV had interceded with Elizabeth I, and Gilbert Talbot, 7th Earl of Shrewsbury with Sir Robert Cecil, the brothers were pardoned on 30 June 1598, and they returned to England in the following August; but it was not until 1604 that the coroner's indictment was found bad on a technical ground and the outlawry reversed. Charles went to Ireland and became a friend of the Earl of Essex. However, by then Charles had taken part in Essex' short-lived rebellion. He offered to pay £10,000 for his life, but to no avail. He was convicted of treason, and beheaded on Tower Hill for treason on 18 March 1601. Executed with him was his fellow conspirator, Sir Christopher Blount.

Henry was employed in Ireland under the Earl of Essex, and Charles Blount, 8th Baron Mountjoy, successive lords-lieutenant of Ireland. In July 1602 he was appointed sergeant-major-general of the army in Ireland. By James I he was created Baron Danvers of Dauntsey, Wiltshire, in 1603 and two years afterwards was restored in blood as heir to his father, notwithstanding the attainder of his elder brother Charles, who had been beheaded in 1601 for his share in Essex's insurrection.

On 15 June 1613 he obtained the grant in reversion of the office of keeper of St. James's Palace, and on 23 March 1621 he was made governor of the isle of Guernsey for life. On 12 March 1622 Danvers conveyed to the university of Oxford five acres of land, opposite Magdalen College, which had formerly served as a Jewish cemetery, for the encouragement of the study of physic and botany. He had the ground raised and enclosed within a high wall. The gateway of the Oxford Botanic Garden, designed by *Nicholas STONE, a MASTER MASON* who frequently worked with Inigo Jones, still bears the following inscription, 'Gloriae Dei Opt. Max. Honori Caroli Regis, in usum Acad. et Reipub. Henricus comes Danby DD. MDCXXXII.' By his will he left the rectory of Kirkdale in Yorkshire towards the maintenance of the gardens.

By Charles I he was created Earl of Danby on 5 February 1626, and on 20 July 1628 was sworn a member of the privy council. In 1630, Danby succeeded to the estates of his mother, who after her first husband's death had married Sir Edmund Cary (c.1557-September 12, 1637), son of Henry Carey, 1st Baron Hunsdon. He was made a councillor of Wales on 12 May 1633, and was installed a knight of the Garter on 7 November in the same year. He was included in a number of commissions by Charles I, formed one of the council of war appointed on 17 June 1637, and acted as commissioner of the regency from 9 August to 25 November 1641. He never married, and upon his death the barony of Danvers and the earldom of Danby became extinct.

He died at his house in Cornbury Park, Oxfordshire, on 20 January 1644, and was buried in Dauntsey Church, where there is a monument of white marble to his memory. On the east side of the monument are lines ostensibly written by his kinsman, George Herbert who paid a long visit at Dauntsey in 1629 and died in 1633.>>

A physic garden is a type of herb garden with medicinal plants. Botanical gardens developed from them. Modern botanical gardens were preceded by medieval physic gardens that originated at the time of Emperor Charlemagne. Gardens of this time included various section including one for medicinal plants called the herbularis or hortus medicus. Pope Nicholas V set aside part of the Vatican grounds in 1447 for a garden of medicinal plants that were used to promote the teaching of botany, and this was a forerunner to the University gardens at Padua and Pisa established in the 1540s. Certainly the founding of many early botanic gardens was instigated by members of the medical profession. The naturalist William Turner established physic gardens at Cologne, Wells, and Kew; he also wrote to Lord Burleigh recommending that a physic garden be established at Cambridge University with himself at its head. The 1597 Herball, or Generall Historie of Plantes by herbalist John Gerard was said to be the catalogue raisonné of physic gardens, both public and private, which were instituted throughout Europe. It listed 1,030 plants found in his physic garden at Holborn, and was the first such catalogue printed. The garden in Oxford, founded by Henry Danvers, 1st Earl of Danby, with Jacob Bobart the Elder as Superintendent, dates to 1632. Begun in Westminster and later moved to Chelsea, the Apothecaries founded the Chelsea Physic Garden in 1673, of which Philip Miller, author of The Gardeners Dictionary, was the most notable Director. By 1676, the position of "Keeper of the Physic Garden" was held by the Professor of Botany at the University of Edinburgh.

Some of the earliest physic gardens included:

1334, Venice; and at Salerno, founded by Matthaeus Silvaticus
1544, Pisa, begun by Cosimo de' Medici.
1545, Padua
1547, Bologna, founded by Ghini
1560, Zurich, founded by Conrad Gessner
1570, Paris
1577, Leyden, under direction of Carolus Clusius
1580, Leipzig
1593, Montpelier, by Henry IV
Art Neuendorffer
2018-02-23 13:54:00 UTC
Raw Message
On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 8:13:18 AM UTC-5, Arthur Neuendorffer (aka Noonedafter) wrote:

[Endlessly, moronically repeated crackpot cryptography snipped]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
[Lunatic logorrhea snipped]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
Henry was employed in Ireland under the Earl of Essex, and Charles Blount,
8th Baron Mountjoy, successive lords-lieutenant of Ireland. In July 1602
he was appointed sergeant-major-general of the army in Ireland. By James I
he was created Baron Danvers
But Art -- "Baron Danvers" is an anagram of "Ver's no Bard, A. N." -- INIPNC score 10/12!

[Reams of lunatic logorrhea and crackpot cryptography snipped]
Art Neuendorffer (aka Noonedafter)
Arthur Neuendorffer
2018-02-23 16:17:58 UTC
Raw Message
Neufer wrote:
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
Henry was employed in Ireland under the Earl of Essex, and Charles Blount,
8th Baron Mountjoy, successive lords-lieutenant of Ireland. In July 1602
he was appointed sergeant-major-general of the army in Ireland. By James I
he was created Baron Danvers
Lea wrote: <<But Art --

"Baron Danvers" is an anagram of "Ver's no Bard, A. N."

-- INIPNC score 10/12!
. *DAN* (Brewer Dictionary of Phrase & Fable)
A title of honour, common with the old poets, as *DAN* Ph'bus,
*DAN* Cupid, *DAN* Neptune, *DAN* Chaucer, etc. (Spanish, *DON*.)
"That old *DAN* Geffrey, in whose GENTLE spright
. The pure well-head of poesie did dwell."
. -- Spenser: _Two Cantos of Mutability,_ Cant. VII.
*SHELTON's DON* Quixote, Part 1. The Third Book

IV. Wherein Are Rehearsed the Discourses Passed between Sancho Panza
and His Lord, Don Quixote, with Other Adventures Worthy the Recital
‘This is, Sancho, the day wherein *SHALL BE MANIFEST* the good which
fortune hath reserved for me. This is the day wherein the force of
mine arm must be shown as much as in any other whatsoEVER; and in
it I will do such feats as shall for EVER remain recorded in the
*BOOKS OF FAME* . Dost thou see, Sancho the *DUST* which ariseth
there? Know that it is caused by a mighty army, and sundry and
innumerable nations, which come marching there.’

‘If that be so,’ quoth Sancho, ‘then must there be *two armies*;
for on this other side is raised as great a *DUST*.’

*DON Quixote* turned back to behold it, and
seeing it was *SO INDEED* , he was marvellous glad,
thinking that they were doubtlessly *two armies*, which came
to fight one with another in the midst of that spacious plain

[for he had his *FANTASY EVER* replenished with these battles,
enchantments, successes, ravings, loves, and challenges which are
rehearsed in books of knighthood, and all that EVER he spoke, thought,
or did, was addressed and applied to the like things. And the *DUST*
which he had seen was raised by two great flocks of sheep, that came
through the same field by two different ways, and could not be
discerned, by reason of the *DUST*, until they were VERy near.
Don Quixote did affirm that they were two armies with so VERy
good earnest as Sancho believed it, and demanded of him,]

‘Sir, what then shall we two do?

‘What shall we do.’ quoth Don Quixote, ‘but assist the needful and
weaker side? For thou shalt know, Sancho, that he who comes towards
us is the great emperor Alifamfaron, lord of the great island of
Trapobana; the other, who marcheth at our back, is his enemy, the
king of the Garamantes, Pentapolin of the naked arm, so called
because he still entereth in battle with his right arm naked.’
‘This is, Sancho, the day wherein *SHALL BE MANIFEST* - Shelton
*MANIFEST* , a. [L. manifestus.] Plain, open, clearly visible to
the eye or obvious to the understanding; apparent; not obscure
or difficult to be seen or understood. From the testimony,
the truth we conceive to be *MANIFEST* .
"Este o dia," digo, " em que *SE HA DE VER* " - Cervantes
___ *SE HA DE VER*
_______ {anagram}
It ys now a yeare sythence BY YOWRE ONLY MEANES her
Magestye graunted her intereste in *DANVERS ESCHEETE*
- Hackney (Rozinante) , 22nd March, 1601.
(Hatfield MSS., Vol. XII.)
<< *ESCHEAT* is a common law doctrine that operates to ensure
that property is not left in limbo and ownerless. It originally
referred to a number of situations where a legal interest in
land was destroyed by operation of law, so that the ownership
of the land reverted to the immediately superior feudal lord.>>
*THE REST IS* silence" - Hamlet
*THE REST IS FAME* " - Sidney motto
Hamlet = Sidney in _Shadowplay_ by Clare Asquith
<<The 6th rule of the Rosicrucians,
as laid down in the [FAMA] {FR}aternitatis
of 1604 demanded anonymity for 100 years">>
<<Gnostic device:
"Learn to know all but keep thyself unknown">>
Marlovian Peter Bull wrote HLAS:
<<[Shakespeare's *A LOVER'S COMPLAINT*
. starts with the acrostic *FAMA*
. A Rosicrucian call to FAME? >>
. A Lover's Complaint Stanza 1
[F|R}OM off a hill whose concave womb reworded
[A] plaintful story from a sistering vale,
[M]y spirits to attend this double voice accorded,
[A]nd down I laid to list the sad-tuned tale;

Vilia miretur vulgus: mihi flavus Apollo
Pocula Castalia plena ministret aqua.
P. Ovidius Naso, Amores, Elegy 15

Vilia miretur vulgus; mihi flavus Apollo
Pocula Castalia plena ministret aqua,
Sustineamque coma metuentem (F)rigor(A) myrtu(M),
Atque (A)sollicito multus amante legar!
Pascitur in vivis Livor; post [FATA] quiescit,
Cum suus ex merito quemque tuetur honos.
Ergo etiam cum me supremus adederit ignis,
Vivam, parsque mei multa superstes erit.

(FAMA) 6
[FATA] 1
"–Éste es el día, ¡oh Sancho!, en el cual *SE HA DE VER* el bien que
me tiene guardado mi suerte; éste es el día, digo, en que se ha de
mostrar, tanto como en otro alguno, el valor de mi brazo, y en el que
tengo de hacer obras que queden escritas en *EL LIBRO DE LA FAMA*
por todos los venideros siglos. ¿Ves aquella *POLVAREDA* que allí
se levanta, Sancho? Pues toda es cuajada de un copiosísimo ejército
que de diversas e innumerables gentes por allí viene marchando.

–A esa cuenta, dos deben de ser –dijo Sancho–, porque desta parte
contraria se levanta asimesmo otra semejante *POLVAREDA*.

Volvió a mirarlo don Quijote, y vio que así era la *VERDAD* ;
y, alegrándose sobremanera, pensó, sin duda alguna, que eran dos
ejércitos que venían a embestirse y a encontrarse en mitad
de aquella espaciosa llanura (...)

–Señor, ¿pues qué hemos de hacer nosotros?

–¿Qué? –dijo don Quijote–: favorecer y ayudar a los menesterosos y
desvalidos. Y has de saber, Sancho, que este que viene por nuestra
frente le conduce y guía el grande emperador Alifanfarón, señor de la
grande isla Trapobana; este otro que a mis espaldas marcha es el de su
enemigo, el rey de los garamantas, Pentapolén del Arremangado Brazo,
porque siempre entra en las batallas con el brazo derecho desnudo."
PANDORA, The Musyque of the beautie of his Mistresse Diana.
Composed by John Soowthern / Gentleman,
and dedicated to the right / Honorable,
Edward Deuer, Earle / of Oxenford, & c. 1584.
To the ryght honourable the Earle of Oxenford. & c.
Epode #1

. No, no, the finger is his
. Alone : that in the ende must bee
. Made proude, with a garland lyke this,
. [A]nd not ev'rie ryming novice,
. [T]hat writes with small wit, and much paine:
. [A]nd the (Gods knowe) idiot in vaine,
. [F]or it's not the way to Parnasse,
. Nor it wyll neither come to passe,
. If it be not in some wis(E) fic(T)ion,
. (A)nd o(F) an ingenious invension :
. And in(F)anted with pleas(A)nt travaill,
. [F]or i(T) alone must win th(E) Laurell.
. [A]nd onelie the Poet well borne,
. [M]ust be he that goes to Parnassus :
. [A]nd not these companies of Asses,
. That have brought verce almost to scorne.

. This Shadow is renowned Shakespear's? Soule o[F] th' [A]ge
. [T]he [A]pplause? Delight? The wonder of the Stage.
. Nature her selfe, was proud of his designs
. [A]nd joy'd to weare the dressing of his lines,
. [T]he learned will confess his works as such
. [A]s neither man, nor Muse can praise to much
. [F]or *EVER* live thy [FAME], the world to tell,
. Thy like, no age, shall *EVER* paralell
Art Neuendorffer