Gardez-Loo!
Roundtable
2004-12-03 10:59:40 UTC
Looking into the more intimate details of Tudor life, I found this in the
Oxford History of Tudor Life (or some such title):

"Garderobe closets were built into manors and castles such as Elizabethan
Little Morton Hall, the waste flushing into the moat or collected and
used as fertilizer. Portable closet stools were used by the wealthy
in the 17th century. But most people had to resort to chamber pots,
emptied into public cesspools in the countryside or gutters in towns and
cities."

and this, which was new to me:

"The poor had oiled skins instead of window-glass."

Someone told me that in Scotland the women heard the French soldiers
crying "Gardez-Vous", so when the women emptied the chamber-pots
out of the window, they'd call "Gardez-Loo".

I know not if this be true.

Pretty disgusting to use human waste as fertilizer. Apparently, some
countries are still doing so. It spreads human diseases around nicely,
though. Must have been even more effective in those plague-ridden days!

Must have been much like Venice in the summer when the castle folk
looked out over the moat...and quite a different version of "pop-ups"
in those days, n'est-ce pas?

Bon Appetit!

Roundtable
http://roundtable.iwarp.com
LynnE
2004-12-03 13:16:37 UTC
Post by Roundtable
Looking into the more intimate details of Tudor life, I found this in the
"Garderobe closets were built into manors and castles such as Elizabethan
Little Morton Hall, the waste flushing into the moat or collected and
used as fertilizer. Portable closet stools were used by the wealthy
in the 17th century. But most people had to resort to chamber pots,
emptied into public cesspools in the countryside or gutters in towns and
cities."
"The poor had oiled skins instead of window-glass."
Someone told me that in Scotland the women heard the French soldiers
crying "Gardez-Vous", so when the women emptied the chamber-pots
out of the window, they'd call "Gardez-Loo".
I think they called "Gardez l'eau" originally.
L.