ERLE OF OXINFORD
2018-04-07 14:05:56 UTC
http://ShakespeareAuthorship.com/monrefs.html

<<Next to the infamous engraving in Dugdale's Antiquities of
Warwickshire, Dugdale transcribed both the Latin & English verses
from Shakespeare's tomb, along with the verse from the gravestone.
Except for minor spelling differences (entirely typical of Dugdale),
these verses are the same as those seen today. The Latin reads:

Ivdicio Pylivm, genio Socratem, arte Maronem,
Terra tegit, popvlvs maeret, Olympvs habet

which may be translated thus:

In judgment a Nestor, in wit a Socrates, in art a Virgil;
the earth buries [him], the people mourn [him], Olympus possesses [him]

On the page facing the engraving of the monument,
Dugdale writes the following in his account of Stratford:

One thing more, in reference to this antient town is observable,
that it gave birth and sepulture to our late famous Poet Will.
Shakespeare, whose Monument I have inserted in my discourse
of the Church. [Shakspere Allusion-Book, II, 62]
juDicium (P)YLium, gENio (S)ocraTEm, arte (M)ARONem

(P)oLDY, (S)TEphEN, (M)ARiON

(P)reparatory to, (S)tately Plump, (M)r. Leopold Bloom
[P]hlegmatic [S]anguine [M]elancholy

The four humours are:

1) [P]hlegmatic (cold torpor) from phlegm,

2) [S]anguine (geniality) from blood (as with Candido)

3) [M]elancholy from black bile (as in The Revenger's Tragedy IV.i,
The Witch I.i). [The spleen, often regarded as the seat of passions
and/or impulsive behavior, was also held responsible for sexual
desire (as in The Old Law III.ii, Anything for a Quiet Life III.ii).

4) Choleric (anger) derived from bile
(as in The Revenger's Tragedy II.iii & The Roaring Girl II.i)??
<<Go in for scribenery with the satiety of arthurs in S.P.Q.R.ish
and inform to the old sniggering publicking press and its nation
of sheepcopers about the whole plighty troth between them, ma-
lady of milady made melodi of malodi, she, the lalage of lyon-
esses, and him, her knave arrant.>> -- FW 229
The *Swan of Mantua* : VIRGIL.

Virgil's tomb, once treated like a shrine, has disappeared.

His epitaph was supposedly:

Mantua me genuit, Calabri rapuere, tenet nunc Parthenope.
Mantua GAVE me BIRTH, the Calabrians took me, now Naples holds me;
IVDICIO [P]YLIVM, GENIO [S]OCRATEM, ARTE [M]ARONEM,
TERRA TEGIT, POPVLVS MAERET, OLYMPVS HABET.

("In judgement a *Nestor*, in wit a *Socrates*, in art a *Virgil*
the earth buries him, the people mourn him, Olympus possesses him")
<<. . .and my singing the absentminded beggar and wearing a brooch for
lord Roberts when I had the map of it all and POLDY not Irish enough was
it him managed it this time I wouldnt put it past him like he got me on
to sing in the Stabat Mater by going around saying he was putting Lead
Kindly Light to music I put him up to that till the jesuits found out
he was a FREEMASON thumping the piano lead . . .>>
"The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice
the pftjSCHUTE of Finnegan,"
http://ShakespeareAuthorship.com/shaxmon.html

Shakespeare's Stratford Monument
at "SCHUTE" [i.e.,

(S)tratford
(C)hurch of the
(H)oly &
(U)ndivided
(T)rinity,
(E)ngland]
John COMBE's "inscription" was going to be:

"Ten in the hundred lies hERE engraVED;
'Tis a hundred to ten his soul is not saved.
If any man asks, "Who lies in this Tombe?"
Oh! ho! quoth the DEVil 'Tis my John-a COMBE."

"Ten in a Hundred the DEVil alloWS
But COMBE will have twelve, he SWears&voWS:
If anyone asks who lies in this Tombe:
hOh! quoth the DEVil 'Tis my John-a COMBE."
http://1609chronology.blogspot.com/2009/10/memorial-poem-to-sir-francis-vere-by.html

Memorial Poem to Sir Francis Vere by Cyril Tourneur
with dedication to the Earl of Oxford

by Robert Sean Brazil, Friday, October 16, 2009

<<On October 16, 1609, a book was registered at the Stationers’ Hall, called, “A Funerall Poeme. Upon the death of the most worthie and true souldier, Sir Francis Vere, Knight. Captaine of Portsmouth, &c. L. Gouernour of his Maiesties Cautionarie Towne of Briell in Holland, &c.”

The author was Cyril Tourneur (c.1575-1626) whose father, Captain Richard Turner, served in Holland at the same time as Sir Francis Vere and Sir Horatio Vere. We have evidence that Cyril himself saw some service there in 1613.

Tourneur has left us with a very limited set of works: one long poem, The Transformed Metamorphosis (1600), is often described as deeply imitative of Shakespeare. He wrote elegies for Sir Francis Vere (1609) and for Prince Henry, the doomed Stuart heir (1613). He is credited with only two plays, The Revenger's Tragedy (1607) and The Atheist's Tragedy (1611); Revenger, however, is now often credited to Middleton, leaving Atheist’s as the principal “certain” dramatic work of Tourneur.

Tourneur was also associated with various members of the Cecil family and left an unpublished MS with an intriguing title, The Character of Robert, Earl of Salisburye, Lord High Treasurer of England, "ritten by Mr Sevill Tumour." Cyril Tourneur’s association with both the Vere family and the Cecil family, and his emergence as an imitator of Shakespeare, gives me pause to consider that he might have known the inside story --- the one we are now trying to reconstruct.

The 1609 elegy to Francis Vere begins with a one-page dedication. It is ambiguously written and may be designed to honor Francis, or his nephew, Henry, the 18th Earl of Oxford, or the 1604-deceased 17th Earl of Oxford:

DEDICATED TO HIS
LIVING MEMORIE;
WHICH ASCENDS

TO THE INHERENT
HONOVR OF THE HEROYQVE
HOPE OF NOBILITIE, THE
EARLE OF OXFORD, &c.

FROM WHOSE NOBLE-FAMILIE,
THIS IMMORTALL WOR-
THIE, HATH THE HO-
NOVR TO BE
Descended.>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_Tourneur

<<CYRIL TOURNEUR (died 28 February 1626) was an English soldier, diplomat and dramatist who wrote The Atheist's Tragedy (published 1611); another (and better-known) play, The Revenger's Tragedy (1607), formerly believed to be by him, is now more generally attributed to Thomas Middleton.

Cyril Tourneur served in his youth Sir Francis Vere and Sir Edward Cecil. His literary activities seem to be concentrated in the period 1600-1613.
A difficult allegorical poem called The Transformed Metamorphosis (1600) is Tourneur's earliest extant work; an elegy on the death of Prince Henry, son of James I of England, is the latest (1613).
CYRIL TOURNEUR : THE REVENGERS TRAGEDY (1606)
COURTLY RUINER : DEVERE GATHERS GENTRY
"UERO NIL" cry RUT: DEVERE GATHERS GENTRY
John COMBE's Epitaph final version:

"How ere he lived judge not
John COMBE WILL nEVER be forgott
While POOR, hath Memmorye, for he did GATHER
To make the POOR the Issue; he their father"
- finis W: Shak.

<<[A] PAIRE OF SIZERS, and a COMBE in VER(s)E;
[A]crosticks, and Tellesticks, or jumpe names,>>
-- Ben Jonson
From _Finnegans Wake_:

[3:14 529.19] was this HACKNEY man in the COOMBE

[1:3 73.29] Yed he med leave to many a door beside of Oxmanswold
for so witness his chambered *CAIRNS* a cloudletlitter silent
that are at browse up hill and down COOMBE
[EDWARD VERE CAIRNS]
[CAESAR NEVER DID WR]ong
<< Many times he fell into those things [that] could not
escape laughter, as when he said in the person of Caesar,
one speaking to him, "Caesar thou dost me wrong".

He replied,

"CAESAR NEVER DID WR-ong, but with just cause",

and such like, which were ridiculous.>> -- Ben Jonson
Washington Monument:

[3:12 423.25] The alum that winters on his top is the stale
of the staun that will soar when he stambles till
that hag of the COOMBE rapes the pad off his lock.
Did James Joyce think that the
Earl of Oxford was buriedin COMBE's tomb at SCHUTE:
(Stratford Church of the Holy & Undivided Trinity, England)

(P)oldy, (S)tephen, (M)olly
(P)reparatory to, (S)tately Plump, (M)r. Leopold Bloom
(P)hlegmatic (S)anguine (M)elancholy
judicium (P)ylium, genio (S)ocratem, arte (M)aronem
Nestor Socrates VIRGIL
BLOOM O, I know. Bulldog on the premises. But he's a Trinity student.
Patrons of your establishment. Gentlemen that pay the rent. (He makes
*a masonic sign* .) Know what I mean? Nephew of the vice-chancellor.
You don't want a scandal.

BELLA ( Angrily .) Trinity! Coming down here ragging after the boat
races and paying nothing. Are you my commander here? Where is he?
I'll charge him. Disgrace him,

STEPHEN How do I stand you? The hat trick! Where's the third person
of the Blessed Trinity? Soggarth Aroon? The REVErEnD Carrion Crow.

STEPHEN In his trinity of black Wills, the villain shakebags, Iago,
Richard Crookback, Edmund in King Lear, two bear the wicked uncles'
names. Nay, that last play was written or being written while his
brother Edmund lay dying in Southwark.

BEST I hope Edmund is going to catch it. I don't want Richard, my name.
( Laughter .)

QUAKERLYSTER ( A tempo .) But he that filches from me my good name...

STEPHEN ( Stringendo .) He has hidden his own name, a fair name,
William, in the plays, a super here, a clown there, as a painter of old
Italy set his face in a dark corner of his canvas. He has revealed it in
the sonnets where there is Will in overplus. Like John O'Gaunt his name
is dear to him, as dear as the coat of arms he toadied for, on a bend
sable a spear or steeled argent, honorificabilitudinitatibus, dearer
than his glory of greatest shakescene in the country. What's in a name?
That is what we ask ourselves in childhood when we write the name that
we are told is ours. A STAR, a daystar, a firedrake rose at his birth.
It shone by day in the heavens alone, brighter than Venus in the night,
and by night it shone over delta in Cassiopeia, the recumbent
constellation which is the signature of his initial among the stars.
His eyes watched it, lowlying on the horizon, eastward of the bear,
as he walked by the slumberous summer fields at midnight,
returning from Shottery and from her arms.
http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/comment2/ps1-18.htm

THE BOOK OF PSALMS BY JOHN CALVIN
THE EPISTLE DEDICATORY

[PREFIXED TO THE ORIGINAL TRANSLAT10N, 1571.]

To The Right Honorably And Verie Good Lord,
EDWARD DE VERE, ERLE OF OXINFORD,
Lord Great Chamberlain Of England, Vicount Bulbecke, Etc.

ARTHUR GOLDING

To the furtherance wherof, God hath by householde alyance lincked vnto
your Lordship a long experienced *NESTOR* whose counsaile and footsteps
if you folowe, no doubte but you shalbee bothe happie in your selfe,
and singularly profitable to your common welth; and moreouer, God
shall blisse you with plentiful and godly issue by your vertuous and
deerbeloued Spouse, to continew the honor and renoavne of your noble
house after the happy knitting vp of bothe your yeeres,which I pray God
may bee many in vnseperable loue, like the loue of Ceix and Alcyonee,
to the glory of God, and the contentation of bothe your desires.

Written at London, the 20:of October 1571.
Your good Lordship's moste humlble to commaund, Arthur Golding.
nordicskiv2
2018-04-07 15:07:27 UTC
On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 10:05:58 AM UTC-4, Arthur Neuendorffer (aka Noonedafter) wrote:

[Lunatic logorrhea snipped]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
[EDWARD VERE CAIRNS]
[CAESAR NEVER DID WR]ong
First, "Caesar never did wrong" is *not* an anagram of "Edward Vere cairns", Art; even a child who can count as high as twenty can tell that.

Second, "Caesar never did wr [sic]" is moronic nonsense.

[Lunatic logorrhea snipped]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
Did James Joyce think that the
(Stratford Church of the Holy & Undivided Trinity, England)
No, Art; only a moron would think (usual disclaimer) that. Any other questions?

[Lunatic logorrhea snipped]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
Art Neuendorffer (aka Noonedafter)