Which edition is favored and why
Add Reply
bookburn
2017-05-10 19:12:41 UTC
A review, under Literary Criticism in TLS.

"Too too solid"
BRIAN VICKERS

Reviews interestingly new editions of Shakespeare's complete plays
and poems in 2016, the Oxford University Press and W.
W. Norton; "two great rivals in the lucrative student
textbook market."

Anticipates the advent of digital versions and doesn't
mention the Riverside Edition, which has been the favorite of many, and available at a fraction of the price for the new Oxford or Norton.

http://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/norton-new-oxford-shakespeare/
A***@germanymail.com
2017-05-11 13:37:22 UTC
i do most of my Shakespeare reading on a [kindle like] Tablet

i don't care for footnotes, just look things up elsewhere

a layman's perspective

marc
bookburn
Well, for instance, the Riverside has introductory essays that are well liked.
A***@germanymail.com
2017-05-17 13:22:42 UTC
favor

Pardon me, sir; it was a black ill-favor'd fly, Titus Andronicus: III, ii
Ay, but the citizens favor lucius, Titus Andronicus: IV, iv
Which his wife seems to me well-favored. I will Merry Wives of Windsor: II, ii

Very ill-favoredly, master brook. Merry Wives of Windsor: III, v
Titus andronicus, for thy favors done Titus Andronicus: I, i
She showed him favors to allure his eye; Various poetry: IV

Romans, friends, followers, favorers of my right, Titus Andronicus: I, i
Receive him, then, to favor, saturnine, Titus Andronicus: I, i
O, what a world of vile ill-favor'd faults Merry Wives of Windsor: III, iv

May favor tamora, the queen of goths-- Titus Andronicus: I, i
Indeed, cannot abide 'em; they are very ill-favored Merry Wives of Windsor: I, i

And to the love and favor of my country Titus Andronicus: I, i
And to my fortunes and the people's favor Titus Andronicus: I, i

William Shakespeare, author
A***@germanymail.com