Shakespeare Medieval Murals Finally Restored
2016-12-17 04:29:44 UTC
Conservators in the UK have revealed and restored a series of medieval wall paintings, intended to be destroyed during the English Reformation but saved by none other than John Shakespeare — the father of the famed playwright.

Covering the interior walls of Guild Chapel in Stratford-upon-Avon, renowned as Shakespeare’s birthplace, the works represent what is likely one of the only extant examples of a nearly complete, medieval decorative scheme still in situ.

They depict, in large format, detailed scenes of Judgment Day and candid reminders of death; featuring crucifixes, angels and devils, tortured souls in hell, and a large figure of St. Michael the archangel, the murals were among the many targeted by the iconoclasm laws passed in 1547.

http://hyperallergic.com/344523/saved-by-shakespeares-father-a-series-of-medieval-murals-is-finally-restored/

marc
A***@germanymail.com
2016-12-30 17:40:44 UTC
paint

To gild refined gold, to paint the lily, King John: IV, ii
Yea, or to paint himself? for the which, I hear Much Ado About Nothing: III, ii
With slaughter's pencil, where revenge did paint King John: III, i

With man's blood paint the ground, gules, gules: Timon of Athens: IV, iii
When with your blood you daily paint her thus. Toilus and Cressida: I, i
The word is too good to paint out her wickedness; i Much Ado About Nothing: III, ii

No, you shall paint when you are old. Antony and Cleopatra: I, ii
Nay, never paint me now: Love's Labour's Lost: IV, i
Lest bleeding you do paint the white rose red King Henry VI, part I: II, iv

I paint him in the character. mark what mercy his Coriolanus: V, iv
Her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must Hamlet: V, i
Does bridget paint still, pompey, ha? Measure for Measure: III, ii

Do paint the meadows with delight, Love's Labour's Lost: V, ii
And paint your face and use you like a fool. The Taming of the Shrew: I, i
paint till a horse may mire upon your face, Timon of Athens: IV, iii

William Shakespeare, painter of words