An exaltation
2020-12-14 17:45:10 UTC
I suggest that {DELIA} refers to the virgin queen: {ELI(z)A(beth)}:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delia

<<{DELIA} is a feminine given name, either taken from an epithet
of the Greek *moon goddess ARTEMIS* or else representing a
short form of A{DELIA}, Be{DELIA}, Cor{DELIA} or O{DELIA}.>>
https://tinyurl.com/y7g56zy3

<<An exaltation of queen Elizabeth I's virgin purity identified
her with the {MOON goddess} *who holds dominion over the waters*.
Sir Walter Raleigh had begun to use {DIANA} and later {CYNTHIA}
as aliases for the queen in his poetry around 1580, and images
of Elizabeth with jewels in the shape of crescent moons or the
huntress's arrows begin to appear in portraiture around 1586
and multiply through the remainder of the reign.>>
https://shakespeareoxfordfellowship.org/secrets-dedication-shakespeares-sonnets/

_. Secrets of the Dedication to Shakespeare’s Sonnets_
.... John M. Rollett
.
Originally published in THE OXFORDIAN, Volume 2, 1999
.
<<But what I was really hoping to find was examples of Elizabethan ciphers. This took quite a long time, basically because there aren’t any. None have survived, although several people at the time did describe various useful techniques which might have been used, for all we know. (Strictly speaking, one should class acrostics as very simple ciphers. The Elizabethans were certainly fond of them, and quite a lot do survive, especially in poetry.) The only example of a cipher I was able to find was in a biography of John Dee, the Elizabethan savant and astrologer (he was instructed by Robert Dudley to choose an auspicious day for the Queen’s Coronation, and many people would agree that he did a good job). Here (left) is the example his biographer gave to illustrate a method described by John Dee. This reads, going down and up the columns,

. “The Spanish ships have sailed.” The message would be sent off,
. reading across, as T H S S A H S H E I E I I V L S N P A E P A S H D.

To someone intercepting it, it would obviously proclaim itself as a coded message and to decode it, all one has to do is to count the number of letters––25––and write it out again in a 5 by 5 square. It is amusing to learn that Dee regarded this as “a childish cryptogram such as eny man of knowledge shud be able to resolve.”>>
.... <= 5 =>
.
.. T H S S {A}
.. H S H E {I}
.. E I I V {L}
.. S N P A {E}
.. P A S H {D}
. “THE SPANISH SHIPS HAVE S{AILED}.”
______________________.... {DELIA}
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winter%27s_Tale

<<The Winter's Tale is a play by William Shakespeare originally published in the First Folio of 1623. Shakespeare's apparent mistake of placing the Oracle of Delphi on a small island has been used as evidence of Shakespeare's limited education. However, Shakespeare again copied this locale directly from "Pandosto". Moreover, the erudite Robert Greene was not in error, as the Isle of Delphos does not refer to Delphi, but to the Cycladic island of Delos, the mythical birthplace of Apollo, which from the 15th to the late 17th century in England was known as "Delphos". Greene's source for an Apollonian oracle on this island likely was the Aeneid, in which Virgil wrote that Priam consulted the Oracle of Delos before the outbreak of the Trojan War and that Aeneas after escaping from Troy consulted the same Delian oracle regarding his future.

The name {DELIA} refers to the tiny Greek island of Delos,
the birthplace of Artemis and her twin brother Apollo.>>
. The Winter's Tale: II, iii
.
Leo. Twentie three dayes
. They haue beene absent: 'tis good speed: fore-tells
. The great Apollo suddenly will haue
. The *TRUTH* of this appeare: Prepare you Lords,
. Summon a Session, that we may arraigne
. Our most disloyall Lady: for as she hath
. Been publikely accus'd, so shall she haue
. {A} iust and open Triall. Wh{I}le she liues,
. My heart wi{L}l be a burthen to me. Leau{E} me,
. And thinke vpon my bi{D}ding. Exeunt.
______. <= 20 =>
.
. {A} iustandopenTriallWh
. {I} lesheliuesMyheartwi
. {L} lbeaburthentomeLeau
. {E} meAndthinkevponmybi
. {D} dingExeunt

{DELIA} -20
. The Winter's Tale: III, ii
.
Her. Therefore proceed:
. But yet heare this: mistake me not: no Life,
. (I prize it not a str{A}w) but for mine Honor,
. Which I would fre[E]: {I}f I shall be condemn'd
. Vpon surmizes (a[L|L} proofes sleeping else,
. But what your [I|E}alousies awake) I tell you
. 'Tis Rigor, a[N|D} not Law. Your Honors all,
. I doe referre me to the Oracle:
. Apollo be my Iudge.
___________. <= 32 =>
.
. noLifeIprizeitnotast. r. {A} wbutformin
. eHonorWhichIwouldfre [E] {I} fIshallbec
. ondemndVponsurmizesa [L] {L} proofessle
. epingelseButwhatyour [I] {E} alousiesaw
. akeItellyouTisRigora [N] {D} notLaw
.
{DELIA} -32
{NILE}. -32
. The Winter's Tale: V, i
.
Flo. By his command
. Haue I here touch'd Sicilia, and from him
. Giue you all greetings, that a King (at friend)
. Can send his Brother: and but Infirmitie
. (Which waits vpon worne times) h{A}th something se{I|Z}'d
. His wish'd Abi{L|I}tie, he had hims{E|L}fe
. The Lands an{D} Waters, 'twixt your Throne and his,
. Measur'd, to looke vpon you; whom he loues
. (He bad me say so) more then all the Scepters,
. And those that beare them, liuing.
______. <= 20 =>
.
. Whichwaits. v.. p. o n
. wornetimes (H) {A} t h
. somethings (E) {I|Z} d
. HiswishdAb (I) {L|I} t
. iehehadhim (S) {E|L} f
. eTheLandsa [N] {D} W a
. terstwixty [O]. u. r T
. hroneandhi [S]. M. e a
. surdtolook [E]
.
{DELIA} -14
{LIZ}.. -14
(SIEH). -14
nordi...@gmail.com
2020-12-15 16:55:33 UTC
Huh?! What on earth would make you think (usual disclaimer) that, Art?! Do you have any actual *evidence* of a link with Elizabeth I?
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delia
<<{DELIA} is a feminine given name, either taken from an epithet
of the Greek *moon goddess ARTEMIS* or else representing a
short form of A{DELIA}, Be{DELIA},
Well, that settles it, then -- Amelia Bedelia must be Queen Elizabeth!

[...]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
https://tinyurl.com/y7g56zy3
<<An exaltation of queen Elizabeth I's virgin purity identified
her with the {MOON goddess} *who holds dominion over the waters*.
Sir Walter Raleigh had begun to use {DIANA} and later {CYNTHIA}
as aliases for the queen in his poetry around 1580, and images
of Elizabeth with jewels in the shape of crescent moons or the
huntress's arrows begin to appear in portraiture around 1586
and multiply through the remainder of the reign.>>
No evidence so far. Nothing in the above links Elizabeth I to Delia.
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
https://shakespeareoxfordfellowship.org/secrets-dedication-shakespeares-sonnets/
_. Secrets of the Dedication to Shakespeare’s Sonnets_
.... John M. Rollett
.
Originally published in THE OXFORDIAN, Volume 2, 1999
.
<<But what I was really hoping to find was examples of Elizabethan ciphers. This took quite a long time,
basically because there aren’t any.
There you have it, Art: there aren't any. You can cease your crackpot cryptography and do something more productive.
[Lunatic logorrhea snipped]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
______. <= 20 =>
.
. {A} iustandopenTriallWh
. {I} lesheliuesMyheartwi
. {L} lbeaburthentomeLeau
. {E} meAndthinkevponmybi
. {D} dingExeunt
{DELIA} -20
No evidence so far...

[Lunatic logorrhea snipped]
[...]

No evidence so far (crackpot cryptography is not evidence).
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
Art Neuendorffer (aka Noonedafter)