"...Passionate grief, provoked by the death of a loved one, lies at the heart of Shakespeare’s tragedy.”
gggg gggg
2021-01-10 16:15:13 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180626-the-best-way-to-understand-ourselves
Dim Witte
2021-01-11 00:19:51 UTC
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 08:15:13 -0800 (PST), gggg gggg
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180626-the-best-way-to-understand-ourselves
Article seems well conceived and written, with not too many "over the
top" considerations; but I don't quite accept that Hamlet in "Hamlet"
expresses Shakespeare's "heart," or inner grief over son and father,
is a main motive.

Yes, we all express ourselves, and in so doing objectify who we are,
etc., but we all do this all the time, not just Shakespeare in
"Hamlet." And the article doesn't consider what else is involved in
the author's recreation of himself.

An obvious explanation for Shakespeare's use of revenge and dueling in
Hamlet could be that, at the time, Queen Elizabeth made known her
disapproval of revenge and dueling and requested that all refrain from
them. Hard to relate "revenge" or "dueling" to Shakespeare's grief
over son and father, yet they are central motifs in the play, IMO.