Hugging trees to survive
Dim Witte
2020-09-27 13:06:26 UTC
Really good to hug a tree, somehow acknowledging everything is part of
Creation. Haven't read that trees have civil rights, but lots of
people with big old trees on their property wouldn't sell them for a
pretty price. 50' tall Douglas Fir tree outside my 3rd story
apartment window has grown about 20' since moving here in 2004.

Some people are enthusiastic about planting trees on public land, and
in Anchorage there is a parks program allowing people to bring in
trees. Really BIG animal in Alaska, the moose, in winter goes around
nibbling on shoots from trees, such as willow and birch, the article
says.

See articles like this one.

(quote)
Trees are mentioned in the Bible more than any living thing other than
God and people.

Jesus said he is the true vine and that his Father is the dresser of
the garden ( John 15:1 ).
The Bible refers to itself as a Tree of Life ( Proverbs 3:18 ).
We are told to be like trees planted by streams of water that yield
their fruit in season ( Psalm 1:3 ).
(unquote)

Interesting that it's not just the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and
Evil in the Garden of Eden, but also the Tree of Life, which is
evidently representing all of Creation. Worst thing would be to do
evil and be removed from Tree of Life.

Not sure about New Testament references to trees, because for instance
Jesus is several times said to have been hanged from a tree, not a
cross. Jesus withers a fig tree because it doesn't bear figs for his
breakfast.

Enough references in the Bible to Cedars of Lebanon to suggest Lebanon
has a role to play in modern Israel?

Why do we have a "tree house"? "As a twig is bent, so is the tree
inclined." Lots of illustrations use a tree figure to show roots and
branches, leaves, fruits, and flowers. Say things like, "Don't value
the flowers, but the fruits." Folk hero, Johnny Appleseed, who
wandered over the U.S. planting apple seeds.

BIG ISSUE these days over cutting down forests all over the world,
because they produce the oxygen we breath, consuming carbon dioxide we
exhale.

Not sure if Trump's nomination to the US Supreme Court, Amy Coney
Barrett, has profound Catholic Church ideas about environmentalism, in
terms of things like ecology, climate change, pollution control; but
these could be chinks in her armor the Demos will attack?
f***@gmail.com
.
Dim Witte
2020-09-28 00:26:50 UTC
[...]