DISMAS
2017-12-22 20:15:38 UTC
. ZECHARIAH. 1611 KJV
.
2:8-14 For thus sayth the Lord of hostes, After the glory hath he sent me vnto
the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you, [T]oucheth the apple
of his eye. For behold, I *WILL SHAKE* mine hand vpon them, [A]nd they shall
bee a spoile to their seruants: and yee shall know that the [L]ord of hostes
hath sent me. Sing and reioyce, O daughter of Zion: for loe, I c[O]me, and I
will dwell in the middest of thee, sayth the Lord. And many nation[S] shalbe
ioyned to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwel in
the middest of hee, and thou shalt know that the Lord of hostes hath sent me
vnto thee. Therefore it is come to passe, that as he cried, and they would
not heare, so they cried, an{D} I would not heare, sa{I}th the Lord of
hoste{S}. But I scattered the{M} with a whirlewinde {A}mong all the nation{S}
, whom they knew not: thus the land was de[SOLAT]e after them, that no man
passed through, nor returned: for they layed the pleasant land de[SOLAT]e.
.
{DISMAS} 17
[TALOS] 59
. Revelation 1611 KJV

20:1-3 And I saw an Angel come down from heauen, haui[N]g the key of the
bottomles pit, & a great chai{N}e in his hand. [A]nd hee l{A}id hold
on the dragon {T}hat old serpent, whic{H} is [T]he deuill and [SAT{A}N],
and bound him a thou{S}and yeres, And c[A]st him into the bottomlesse
pit, and shut him vp, and set a [S]eale vpon him, that he should
deceiue the nations no more, till the thousand yeeres should bee
fulfilled: and after that hee must be loosed a little season.
. <= 15 =>
.
. a n A n g e l c o m e d o w n f
. r o m h e a u e n,h a u i[N]g t
. h e k e y o f t h e b o t t o m
. l e s p i t&a g r e a t c h a i
. {N}e i n h i s h a n d[A]n d h e
. e l{A}i d h o l d o n t h e d r
. a g o n{T}h a t o l d s e r p e
. n t,w h i c{H}i s[T]h e d e u i
. l l a n d[S A T{A}N]a n d b o u
. n d h i m a t h o u{S}a n d y e
. r e s,A n d c[A]s t h i m i n t
. o t h e b o t t o m l e s s e p
. i t,a n d s h u t h i m v p,a n
. d s e t a[S]e a l e v p o n h i
. m,t h a t h e s h o u l d d e c
. e i u e t h e n a t i o n s n o
. m o r e,t i l l t h e t h o u s
. a n d y e e r e s s h o u l d b
. e e f u l f i l l e d:
.
[SATAN] -46, 1 : Prob. ~ 1 in 10
{SAHTAN} -18 : Prob. ~ 1 in 215
20: 14-15 And death and hell were c(A)st into the lake of fi(R)e:
. this is the second *D(E)ATH*. And whosoeuer wa(S) not found
. written in (T)he booke of life, was cast into the lake of fire.
. <= 18 =>
.
. A n d *D E A T H*a n d h e l l w e r
. e c (A) s t i n t o t h e l a k e o f
. f i (R) e:t h i s i s t h e s e c o n
. d*D (E) A T H*A n d w h o s o e u e r
. w a (S) n o t f o u n d w r i t t e n
. i n (T) h e b o o k e o f l i f e,w a
. s c a s t i n t o t h e l a k e o f
. f i r e.
.
(AREST) 18
. ZECHARIAH. 1611 KJV
.
3:1-2 And he shewed me *IOSHUA* the high Priest, standing before the Angel
of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. And the
Lord said vnto Satan; The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan, euen the Lord that
hath chosen Ierusalem rebuke thee. Is not this a brand pluckt out of the fire?
. Sonnet 154
.
THe little love-God l[Y]ing once a sleepe,
Laid by his side his heart inflaming brand,
Whilst many Nymph[E]s that vou'd chast life to keep,
Came tripping by, but in her maiden {H}and,
The fayre[S]t votary tooke up tha{T} fire,
Which many Legions of true hea{R}ts had warm'd,
And so t[H]e Generall of h{O}t desire,
Was sleeping by a Virgin ha{N}d disarm'd.
This br(A)nd she q[U]enched in a coo(L)e Well by,
Which from lov(E)s fire tooke heat perpe(T)uall,
Growing [A] *BATH* and (H)ealthfull remedy,
For m(E)n diseasd, but I my *M(I)STRISSE tHrALL*,

Came there for cure and this by that I prove,
Loves fire heates water, water cooles not love.
. <= 65 =>
.
THelittleloveGodl [Y] ingonceasleepeLaidbyhissidehisheartinflamingbra
ndWhilstmanyNymph [E] sthatvoudchastlifetokeepCametrippingbybutinherm
aidenHandThefayre [S] tvotarytookevpthaTfireWhichmanyLegionsoftruehea
RtshadwarmdAndsot [H] eGenerallofhOtdesireWassleepingbyaVirginhaNddis
armdThisbrAndsheq [U] enchedinacooLeWellbyWhichfromlovEsfiretookeheat
perpeTuallGrowing [A] BATHandHealthfullremedyFormEndiseasdbutImyMISTR
ISSEtHrALLCamethe r eforcureandthisbythatIproveLouesfireheateswater
watercoolesnotlov e
(ALETHEI) 20 : Prob. in last Sonnet ~ 1 in 4020
[YESHUA] 65 : Prob. in last Sonnet ~ 1 in 2220
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aletheia

<<ALETHEIa (Ancient Greek: ἀλήθεια) is truth or disclosure in philosophy. It was used in Ancient Greek philosophy and revived in the 20th century by Martin Heidegger. It is a Greek word variously translated as "unclosedness", "unconcealedness", "disclosure" or "truth". The literal meaning of the word ἀ–λήθεια is "the state of not being hidden; the state of being evident." It also means factuality or reality. It is the opposite of lethe, which literally means "oblivion", "forgetfulness", or "concealment". According to Pindar's Olympian Ode, ALETHEIa is the daughter of Zeus, while Aesop in his Fables said that she was crafted by Prometheus.>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philalethes_Society

<<The *PhilALETHEs* Society is a Masonic research society based in North America and founded on October 1, 1928. Among the original forty Fellows [was Rudyard Kipling]. The Greek word φιλαλήθης (pronounced "fill-a-LAY-thayss") was used by ancient writers such as Aristotle & Plutarch, and means "a lover of truth." One of the early uses of the word was as part of a "nome de plume" of Eirenaeus PhilALETHEs (the peaceful lover of truth) who was a 17th-century alchemist and the author of many influential works.

Originally the PhilALETHEs Society consisted only of recognized Masonic authors, limited to forty Fellows at any given time in imitation of the Académie Française. Access was opened to all regular Master Masons through the Correspondence Circle. The number of Fellows is still restricted to 40.>>
nordicskiv2
2017-12-26 17:28:50 UTC
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
. ZECHARIAH. 1611 KJV
.
[...]
I'm not sure what you think (usual disclaimer) that "DISMAS" means, Art, but Merry Dismas anyway.

[Crackpot cryptography snipped]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
. <= 18 =>
.
. A n d *D E A T H*a n d h e l l w e r
. e c (A) s t i n t o t h e l a k e o f
. f i (R) e:t h i s i s t h e s e c o n
. d*D (E) A T H*A n d w h o s o e u e r
. w a (S) n o t f o u n d w r i t t e n
. i n (T) h e b o o k e o f l i f e,w a
. s c a s t i n t o t h e l a k e o f
. f i r e.
.
(AREST) 18
You need arest, Art!

[Lunatic logorrhea snipped]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
. <= 65 =>
.
THelittleloveGodl [Y] ingonceasleepeLaidbyhissidehisheartinflamingbra
ndWhilstmanyNymph [E] sthatvoudchastlifetokeepCametrippingbybutinherm
aidenHandThefayre [S] tvotarytookevpthaTfireWhichmanyLegionsoftruehea
RtshadwarmdAndsot [H] eGenerallofhOtdesireWassleepingbyaVirginhaNddis
armdThisbrAndsheq [U] enchedinacooLeWellbyWhichfromlovEsfiretookeheat
perpeTuallGrowing [A] BATHandHealthfullremedyFormEndiseasdbutImyMISTR
ISSEtHrALLCamethe r eforcureandthisbythatIproveLouesfireheateswater
watercoolesnotlov e
(ALETHEI) 20
"ALETHEI [sic]" is moronic nonsense, Art.

: Prob. in last Sonnet ~ 1 in 4020

[...]
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aletheia
<<ALETHEIa (Ancient Greek: ἀλήθεια) is truth or disclosure in philosophy.
It was used in Ancient Greek philosophy and revived in the 20th century by
Martin Heidegger. It is a Greek word variously translated as "unclosedness",
"unconcealedness", "disclosure" or "truth". The literal meaning of the word
ἀ–λήθεια is "the state of not being hidden; the state of being evident." It
also means factuality or reality. It is the opposite of lethe, which
literally means "oblivion", "forgetfulness", or "concealment". According to
Pindar's Olympian Ode, ALETHEIa is the daughter of Zeus, while Aesop in his
Fables said that she was crafted by Prometheus.>>
This is why it behooves you to learn either to count or to read, Art -- a literate Noonedafter (an OxyMoron, I know!) would have noted that _aletheia_ does not occur as an equidistant letter sequence in the text above, while a Noonedafter who could count to eight (another OxyMoron) would have realized that "ALETHEI [sic]" could not possibly spell the word _alitheia_, since the latter is an eight-letter word, while the nonsense string "ALITHEI" is only seven letters in length.

[Lunatic logorrhea snipped]
Art Neuendorffer (aka Noonedafter)
John W Kennedy
2017-12-26 19:31:18 UTC
Post by nordicskiv2
[...]
Traditional Western name given for the penitent thief crucified
alongside Jesus, I suppose.
--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
2017-12-26 20:21:18 UTC
[...]
Lea wrote:

<<I'm not sure what you think that "DISMAS" means, Art,

but Merry Dismas anyway.>>

And a Hippo New Year to you, Dave!
the Sun's transit of the cardinal points-originally:

*March 25* [i.e., New Years], June 24, September 24 and December 25
<<Saint Dismas is venerated in the Catholic Church on *March 25*, together with the Feast of the Annunciation, because of a Medieval Catholic hypothesis that Christ (and the penitent thief) were crucified and died exactly on the anniversary of Christ's Incarnation. Augustine of *Hippo* does not name the Good Thief, but wonders if he might not have been baptized at some point. >>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penitent_thief

<<The Penitent Thief, also known as the Good Thief, is one of two unnamed persons mentioned in a version of the Crucifixion of Jesus in the New Testament. In the accounts in the Gospel of Mark and Gospel of Matthew, these two join the crowd in mocking Jesus. The Gospel of Luke describes one asking Jesus to "remember him" when Jesus will have "come into" his kingdom. The other, as the impenitent thief, asks Jesus why he cannot save himself. Luke's unnamed penitent thief was later assigned the name Dismas in the Gospel of Nicodemus, portions of which may be dated to the 4th century. The name "Dismas" was adapted from a Greek word meaning "sunset" or "death". The other thief's name is given as Gestas. In Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot, the main characters Vladimir and Estragon briefly discuss the inconsistencies between the Four Evangelists' accounts of the penitent and impenitent thieves. Vladimir concludes that since only Luke says that one of the two was saved, "then the two of them must have been damned [...] why believe him rather than the others?"

According to tradition, the Good Thief was crucified to Jesus' right hand and the other thief was crucified to his left. For this reason, depictions of the crucifixion of Jesus often show Jesus' head inclined to his right, showing his acceptance of the Good Thief. In the Russian Orthodox Church, both crucifixes and crosses are usually made with three bars: the footrest is slanted, pointing up towards the Good Thief, and pointing down towards the other.

In Coptic Orthodoxy, he is named Demas. This is the name given to him in the Narrative of Joseph of Arimathea. The apocryphal Syriac Infancy Gospel calls the two thieves Titus and Dumachus, and adds a tale about how Titus (the good one) prevented the other thieves in his company from robbing Mary and Joseph during their Flight into Egypt.>>
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
. <= 18 =>
.
. A n d *D E A T H*a n d h e l l w e r
. e c (A) s t i n t o t h e l a k e o f
. f i (R) e:t h i s i s t h e s e c o n
. d*D (E) A T H*A n d w h o s o e u e r
. w a (S) n o t f o u n d w r i t t e n
. i n (T) h e b o o k e o f l i f e,w a
. s c a s t i n t o t h e l a k e o f
. f i r e.
.
(AREST) 18
Lea wrote: <<You need arest, Art!>>

So lock me up, Dave!
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
. <= 65 =>
.
THelittleloveGodl [Y] ingonceasleepeLaidbyhissidehisheartinflamingbra
ndWhilstmanyNymph [E] sthatvoudchastlifetokeepCametrippingbybutinherm
aidenHandThefayre [S] tvotarytookevpthaTfireWhichmanyLegionsoftruehea
RtshadwarmdAndsot [H] eGenerallofhOtdesireWassleepingbyaVirginhaNddis
armdThisbrAndsheq [U] enchedinacooLeWellbyWhichfromlovEsfiretookeheat
perpeTuallGrowing [A] BATHandHealthfullremedyFormEndiseasdbutImyMISTR
ISSEtHrALLCamethe r eforcureandthisbythatIproveLouesfireheateswater
watercoolesnotlov e
(ALETHEI) 20
Lea wrote: << "ALETHEI" is moronic nonsense, Art.>>
Post by Arthur Neuendorffer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aletheia
<<ALETHEIa (Ancient Greek: ἀλήθεια) is truth or disclosure in philosophy.
It was used in Ancient Greek philosophy and revived in the 20th century by
Martin Heidegger. It is a Greek word variously translated as "unclosedness",
"unconcealedness", "disclosure" or "truth". The literal meaning of the word
ἀ–λήθεια is "the state of not being hidden; the state of being evident." It
also means factuality or reality. It is the opposite of lethe, which
literally means "oblivion", "forgetfulness", or "concealment". According to
Pindar's Olympian Ode, ALETHEIa is the daughter of Zeus, while Aesop in his
Fables said that she was crafted by Prometheus.>>
Lea wrote:

<<... a literate Noonedafter would have noted that _aletheia_ does not occur as an equidistant letter sequence in the text above, while a Noonedafter who could count to eight (another OxyMoron) would have realized that "ALETHEI [sic]" could not possibly spell the word _alitheia_, since the latter is an eight-letter word, while the nonsense string "ALITHEI" is only seven letters in length.>>

Who's Alitheia?

P.S.,

Saint Dismas Feastday: March 25
<<William Shakspere's will, still preserved in the Prerogative Office,
is dated March 25, 1616.>>
<<On 25 March 1573 OXford's servant George Brown killed George Sanders,
a London merchant, on Shooter's Hill near Greenwich, and mortally
wounded John Bean. The disclosure of Brown's prior romantic entanglement
with Sanders' wife led to a total of four executions by hanging.
OXford's half-uncle Arthur Golding quickly published a sanitized account
of what was England's most notorious murder since 1551. Both incidents
earned a place in Holinshed's Chronicle and subsequently on the
London stage, the 1551 murder as Arden of Feversham (1592),
the 1573 murder as A Warning for Fair Women (1599).>>
<<At the top of the King Street in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia stands
the George Washington Masonic National Memorial. This prominent monument
sits on Shooter's Hill, once occupied by an eighteenth century mansion
and thought by some to be named for Shooter's Hill near Greenwich.>>

http://www.gwmemorial.org/History/Memorial/History010.htm
http://ci.alexandria.va.us/oha/archaeology/ar-shuters.html
A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man - by James Joyce
Chapter 5

Alas, poor William!

I was once at a diorama in Rotunda. At the end were pictures of big
nobs.
Among them William Ewart Gladstone, just then dead.
Orchestra played O Willie, we have missed you.

A race of clodhoppers!

March 25, morning. A troubled night of dreams.
Want to get them off my chest.

A long curving gallery. From the floor ascend pillars of dark vapours.
It is peopled by the images of fabulous kings, set in stone.
Their hands are folded upon their knees in token of weariness
and their eyes are darkened for the errors of men
go up before them for EVER as dark vapours.

Strange figures advance as from a cave. They are not as tall as men.
One does not seem to stand quite apart from another.
Their faces are phosphorescent, with darker streaks.
They peer at me and their eyes seem to ask me something.
They do not speak.
XXXIV. The Myth and Ritual of ATTIS/ATYS
Sir James George Frazer (1854–1941). The Golden Bough. [1922]

<<But when night had fallen, the sorrow of the worshippers was turned to
joy. For suddenly a light shone in the darkness: the tomb was opened:
the god had risen from the dead; and as the priest touched the lips of
the weeping mourners with BALM, he softly whispered in their ears
the glad tidings of salvation. The resurrection of the god was hailed
by his disciples as a promise that they too would issue triumphant
from the corruption of the grave.
On the morrow, the TWENTY-FIFTH day of MARCH,
which was reckoned the vernal equinOX, the divine resurrection
was celebrated with a wild outburst of glee. At Rome, and probably
elsewhere, the celebration took the form of a carnival. It was
the Festival of Joy (Hilaria). A universal licence prevailed.
Every man might say and do what he pleased.
People went about the streets in disguise.
No dignity was too high or too sacred
for the humblest citizen to assume with impunity.
In the reign of Commodus a band of conspirators
thought to take advantage of the masquerade by dressing in the uniform
of the Imperial Guard, and so, mingling with the crowd of merrymakers,
to get within stabbing distance of the emperor. But the plot miscarried.
Even the stern Alexander SeVERUS used to relax so far on the joyous
day as to admit a pheasant to his frugal board. The next day, the
twenty-sixth of March, was given to repose, which must have been much
needed after the varied excitements and fatigues of the preceding days.
Finally, the Roman festival closed on the twenty-seventh of March
with a procession to the brook Almo.

The silver image of the goddess, with its face of jagged black stone,
sat in a waggon drawn by OXen. Preceded by the nobles walking barefoot,
it moved slowly, to the loud music of pipes and tambourines,
out by the Porta Capena, and so down to the banks of the Almo,
which flows into the Tiber just below the walls of Rome. There the
high-priest, robed in purple, washed the waggon, the image, and the
other sacred objects in the water of the stream. On returning from their
bath, the wain and the OXen were strewn with fresh spring flowers.
All was mirth and gaiety. No one thought of the blood that had
flowed so lately. Even the eunuch priests forgot their wounds.

Such, then, appears to have been the annual solemnisation of the death
and resurrection of ATTIS in spring. But besides these public rites, his
worship is known to have comprised certain secret or mystic ceremonies,
which probably aimed at bringing the worshipper, and especially the
novice, into closer communication with his god. Our information as to
the nature of these mysteries and the date of their celebration is
unfortunately very scanty, but they seem to have included a sacramental
meal and a baptism of blood. In the sacrament the novice became a
partaker of the mysteries by eating out of a drum and drinking out of
a cymbal, two instruments of music which figured prominently in the
thrilling orchestra of ATTIS. The fast which accompanied the mourning
for the dead god may perhaps have been designed to prepare the body of
the communicant for the reception of the blessed sacrament by purging it
of all that could defile by contact the sacred elements. In the baptism
the devotee, crowned with gold and wreathed with fillets, descended into
a PIT, the mouth of which was covered with a wooden grating. A bull,
adorned with garlands of flowers, its forehead glittering with gold
leaf, was then driven on to the grating and there stabbed to death with
a CONSECRATED SPEAR. Its hot reeking blood poured in torrents through
the apertures, and was received with devout eagerness by the worshipper
on every part of his person and garments, till he emerged from the pit,
drenched, dripping, and scarlet from head to foot, to receive the
homage, nay the adoration, of his fellows as one who had been born again
to eternal life and had washed away his sins in the blood of the bull.
For some time afterwards the fiction of a new birth was kept up by
dieting him on milk like a new-born babe. The regeneration of the
worshipper took place at the same time as the regeneration of his god,
namely at the vernal equinOX. At Rome the new birth and the remission
of sins by the shedding of bull’s blood appear to have been carried out
above all at the sanctuary of the Phrygian goddess on the Vatican Hill,
at or near the spot where the great basilica of St. Peter’s now stands;
for many inscriptions relating to the rites were found when the church
was being enlarged in 1608 or 1609.>>
MISCELLANIES UPON VARIOUS SUBJECTS.
. BY JOHN AUBREY, F.RS.
. http://library28.tripod.com/13-1.html
. An old proverb.
.
. When Easter falls in our lady's lap,
. Then let England beware a rap.
.
[ *March 25* : *Lady Day or Annunciation Day* ]
.
Easter falls on *March 25* , when the Sunday letter is G,
and the golden number 5, 13, or 16.
As in the late years, 1459, 1638, 1649.
.
1459, King Henry VI. was deposed and murdered. [???]
.
1638, The Scottish troubles began,
. on which ensued the great rebellion.
.